|Due to the importance and with the the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, uTax is providing another repeat and FINAL reminder regarding the upcoming IRS Modernized e-File (MeF) Shutdown on November 26 at 4:59 PM PT (7:59 PM ET). Please take a few minutes to ensure you are familiar with the e-File deadline, details and any corresponding impact to your clients.
- Tax Year 2019 returns will no longer be eligible for e-filing after the 7:59 PM ET Saturday, November 26, 2022 deadline
- Business Returns: Business returns are not affected by this schedule as IRS has not yet announced the business cutover schedule (typically occurs early December)
- Disaster Relief Extension to File: This shutdown will also affect taxpayers who received a disaster relief extension to file. If the disaster extended due date falls within this shutdown time frame, you must do one of the following:
- Submit the returns electronically before the shutdown begins
- Hold the return and transmit it when the IRS reopens in January 2023. To avoid any penalties and/or interest, be sure to check specific disaster relief deadlines and details here at IRS.gov
- File them on paper after the shutdown. If filed on paper, applicable opt-out documentation may be necessary via IRS Form 8948 – Preparer Explanation for Not Filing Electronically
uTax Partner Communication – (Sent 10/19, 11/1, and 11/14)
Yesterday via Quick Alerts, the IRS announced that in preparation for the upcoming Tax Year 2022 Filing Season, the Modernized e-File (MeF) Production System will begin its annual shutdown on Saturday, November 26, 2022.
Although the IRS officially begins their shutdown at 11:59 PM ET, to ensure that our Central Site has sufficient time to process returns (including any states that may be attached to federal return), our deadline is 4 hours earlier at 7:59 PM ET (4:59 PM PT).
uTax strongly encourages you to plan accordingly and submit all Individual Federal 1040 and State returns in advance of the deadline.
Other Important Notes:
- After this deadline, all Federal 1040 and State returns, along with any rejections received and corrected after the deadline, must be held until e-File production resumes in January 2023 (or can be paper filed during the shutdown period). Don’t forget, MeF accepts the current tax year and two prior tax years. For example, you can currently e-file TY2021, TY2020 and TY2019. When MeF resumes in 2023, you will be able to e-file TY2022, TY2021 and TY2020.
- During the MeF shutdown, the remainder of IRS processes will continue to run and you will receive responses (e.g. Acks and Rejections) for return submissions sent PRIOR to the 11/26 deadline.
- Business Returns are NOT impacted by this schedule. The Business (BMF) Production shutdown typically occurs in early December and the exact date will be communicated in a future IRS Quick Alerts bulletin. uTax will share this information with our partners once it’s announced.
MeF Operational Status Available at IRS.gov:
- Modernized e-File (MeF) provides electronic filing and payment options for filers of Corporation, Employment Tax, Estates and Trusts, Excise Tax, Exempt Organization, Individual, and Partnership Tax Returns. You can check the system status 24/7 on the IRS MeF Operational Status page.
For any additional questions, please contact our Partner Support Team at 206-209-2653 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your uTax Team