uTax is sharing two recent announcements with you from the IRS regarding the ongoing issue of taxpayer data theft and how tax preparers need to be on guard. The IRS and Federal Trade Commission is also having a free webinar event that will take place this Wednesday, July 20 at 2:00 PM ET. As you serve and manage the responsibility of protecting your client’s data and assist with questions they may have, be sure to register to attend if you are interested in learning more about this important topic!
Your uTax Team
IRS News Release – IR-2022-138, July 14, 2022
- Free IRS/FTC Webinar to Focus on Scams, ID Theft and IP PINs
WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service and the Federal Trade Commission will sponsor a free webinar designed to help everyone recognize and combat tax scams and tax-related identity theft.
The webinar will also explain how any individual taxpayer can receive an added layer of identity protection by applying for an Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) from the IRS.
The one-hour webinar will take place on Wednesday, July 20 at 2 p.m. Eastern Time. Open to all, the webinar will cover the following topics:
- Common consumer and tax-related identity theft scams.
- Methods for reporting and recovering from identity theft.
- How identity thieves trick their victims into providing personally identifiable and financial information.
- IRS’s Identity Protection Personal Identification Number Program.
- How to avoid unscrupulous tax return preparers.
- Resources to protect against identity thieves.
- How the Security Summit is working to protect taxpayers.
The webinar will be closed captioned and feature a question-and-answer session. To register for the webinar, visit the Internal Revenue Service Webinar Registration page on IRS.gov. For questions about the webinar, send an email to email@example.com.
Whether attending the webinar or not, anyone can get more information about recognizing and combating tax-related ID theft at IRS.gov/identitytheft. To apply for an IP PIN or for more information about the Identity Protection Personal Identification Number program, visit IRS.gov/ippin.
IRS News Release – IR-2022-135, July 12, 2022 | Español
- IRS Security Summit Renews Warnings for Tax Pros to Guard Against Identity Theft Amid Continued Threats
Excerpt Only – click on News Release link above to read article in its entirety:
WASHINGTON — As the battle continues against tax-related identity theft, the IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry renewed their call for tax professionals to be on guard against new and ongoing threats involving their systems and taxpayer data.
This effort begins next week with the Security Summit’s annual summer campaign focused on tax professionals and taking fundamental steps to stop data theft from their offices. This is the seventh year that the Security Summit partners – the IRS, state tax agencies and the nation’s tax community – have worked to raise awareness about these issues through the “Protect Your Clients; Protect Yourself” campaign.
- Create a security plan. Not only is it a good practice, the IRS also reminds tax professionals that federal law, enforced by the Federal Trade Commission, requires paid tax return preparers to create and implement a data security plan. An information security plan protects the business and client information while also providing a blueprint for action in the event of a security breach. For many tax professionals, knowing where to start when developing a written security plan presents challenges. There are resources available to assist like IRS Publication 4557, Safeguarding Taxpayer Data PDF. Other resources to help tax pros will be highlighted in an upcoming news release.