Due to the importance, uTax is again sharing this important reminder and details regarding the upcoming IRS shutdown of the MeF system this Saturday, November 20. Please be sure to read our 11-3 Partner Communication (and Additional Notes) copied below to help ensure you are meeting client expectations with regard to E-filing their return for TY2020, TY2019 and/or TY2018.
Important!! Don’t forget, our deadline to receive returns is no later than 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM PT on Sat., Nov 20. uTax strongly encourages you to plan accordingly and submit all Federal 1040 and State returns in advance of the deadline (and allow sufficient time to fix and retransmit any rejected returns before the deadline).
- TY2018 Returns: After this deadline, TY2018 returns will no longer be accepted for E-filing. Don’t forget to check back for any acknowledgements for these returns.
- Disaster Relief Extension to File: This shutdown will also affect taxpayers who received a disaster relief extension to file. If the disaster extended due date falls within this shutdown time frame, you must do one of the following:
- Submit the returns electronically before the shutdown begins.
- Hold the return and transmit it when the IRS reopens in January.
- File them on paper after the shutdown. If filed on paper, applicable E-file op-out documentation may be necessary (IRS Form 8948) and/or check with applicable State Taxing Authority.
Copy of Partner Communication Sent 11-3-2021:
To our Valued uTax Partners,
Today, the IRS announced via Quick Alerts, that in preparation for the upcoming 2022 Filing Season, the Modernized e-File (MeF) Production System will begin its annual shutdown on Saturday, November 20, 2021.
Although the IRS officially begins their shutdown at 11:59 PM ET, the official deadline for all software company transmitters is 10:00 PM ET. However, to ensure that our Central Site has sufficient time to process returns, including any states that may be attached to Federal returns, our deadline is 2 hours earlier at 8:00 PM ET (5:00 PM Pacific).
uTax strongly encourages you to plan accordingly and submit all Federal 1040 and State returns in advance of the deadline.
Other Important Notes:
- After this deadline, all Federal 1040 and State returns, along with any rejections received and corrected after the deadline, must be held until e-File production resumes in January 2022 (or can be paper filed during the shutdown period).
- The remainder of IRS processes will continue to run and you will receive responses (e.g. Acks and Rejections) for return submissions sent PRIOR to the deadline.
- Business returns are NOT impacted by this schedule. The Business (BMF) Production shutdown typically occurs in early December and the exact date will be communicated in a future IRS Quick Alerts bulletin. uTax will share this information with our partners once it’s announced.
MeF Operational Status Available at IRS.gov:
- Modernized e-File (MeF) provides electronic filing and payment options for filers of Corporation, Employment Tax, Estates and Trusts, Excise Tax, Exempt Organization, Individual, and Partnership Tax Returns. You can check the system status 24/7 on the IRS MeF Operational Status page.
For any additional questions, please contact our Partner Support Team at 206-209-2653 or email us at email@example.com.
The uTax Team